Taking a Proactive Approach to Your Fertility
Plan Ahead! At least 3 months, if possible, for both women and men. This allows time to clean up (eliminate toxins and contaminants) and stock-up (nutrients)
Obtain and maintain management of all chronic medical conditions. Maintain a healthy weight. Weight loss if overweight before pregnancy. If you smoke- STOP!
Alcohol consumption – limit alcohol to no more than 2 drinks/week. Once pregnant, stop all alcohol consumption.
Caffeine- Moderate daily consumption of up to 200 mg/ day (12 ounces of coffee)
Diet is important
Increase your daily intake of vegetables and fruit. Emphasize the Mediterranean or anti-inflammatory type diets:
- Eat whole grain foods
- Avoid sugar/refined grains/trans fats
- Avoid processed foods and artificial ingredients
- Reduce animal sources of protein
- Eat fresh vegetables/fruit (5 or more servings daily)
- Reduce saturated fats- organic whole dairy is OK
- Eat 8-12 ounces of fish weekly. You want to avoid fish with high levels of methyl mercury.
A good Multi-Vitamin will provide additional antioxidants to the diet. Be sure to take at least 400 mcg of Folic Acid daily (start at least 1 month before you plan on conceiving)
Avoid environmental factors
Drink filtered water.
Avoid plastic containers.
- Avoid using products that contain BPA or phthalates. Minimize the use of food products or storage in cans or plastic containers.
Use stainless steel or glass water bottles.
- EWG – “Dirty” dozen and “Clean” 15 (vegetables and fruit)
- Minimize the use of personal care products such as moisturizers, cosmetics, shower gels, and fragrances.
- Avoid the use of garden, household or pet pesticides/fungicides.
- Chemicals such as lead and pesticides can be tracked indoors on shoes, so it is always recommended to remove your shoes before coming indoors.
- Women should avoid Cat litter/feces – potential for Toxoplasmosis.
- Be aware of current travel alerts and warnings (i.e. Zika, virus)
For men specifically
- Avoid high-temperature exposure such as hot tubs or saunas
- Cell phone use and the effect(s) on human sperm remain uncertain.
- As a precaution, consider keeping the cell phone away from the body. Utilize the speaker function and consider texting to reduce exposure to EMW radiation.
- Keep the laptop off your lap. Laptop computers represent sources of both electromagnetic energy exposure (Wi-Fi) as well as thermal energy (heat).